Saturday, January 5, 2008

Spring is in the air....maybe not quite!

Well, as I was riding a bicycle down the dirt road on the farm, the sun warming my back and a soft breeze floating across my face, I was contemplating what I might like to share for my very first WHRI blog entry.... Hmmm. Jon did such an excellent job last week going into detail about all the exciting things we get to do here on the farm! He is also far superior to me in the skill of writing, or blogging, for that matter. While he will look for the crossword puzzle in the newspaper, I search for the sudoku...numbers are the thing for me!!

Animals are even better though. One discovery I have made in the months I have been here as the livestock intern, is that animals (goats in particular) have a mind of their own and can be downright stubborn sometimes! Does this remind you of someone? I do declare that I am getting a taste of what motherhood is all about and therefore have a greater respect for all the mothers in the world, mine especially! But, despite all the troubles, they really are fun and I enjoy working with them and caring for them.

So, on this beautiful Saturday there were lots of things going on around here. No spectacular stories though. Thankfully everything has gone smoothly today: there were no escapee goats from the pasture (or cows for that matter), the rooster didn't attack anyone, the chicks are safe and sound in their brooder by the rabbits, the goats are getting along, I found a stash of eggs in the goat hay trough(sneaky little hens won't get the best of me!), the garden is growing beautifully...and so on. Let me just share with you a few photos from today. By the way, I hope you enjoyed the beautiful weather outside. I know I did and so did many of God's creatures here on the farm! The sunset was absolutely gorgeous and I hope to see a beautiful sunrise tomorrow morning through the dairy window.

This is an exciting time of the year for me because we are expecting lots of new additions to the farm. Already we have baby chicks that are about 1 week old now. They are our future egg-producers so we have high hopes for them! =) In a few weeks we are expecting our mamma rabbits to deliver some healthy litters of cute baby bunnies. Then, starting in February, our does will start kidding and we will have baby goats running around bleating at the top of their lungs. Needless to say, it will be an exciting place around here! I might have to start sleeping with ear plugs though.
Maybe I should also mention the garden...I get so wrapped up in the animals, the vegetables end up on the back burner for me. I am amazed, having come from Colorado, that we are still growing things in the middle of winter!! Look at that swiss chard!! I just want to sink my teeth into it, not to mention the kale, beets, spinach, lettuce, carrots...need I go on?! It is great to have fresh produce, and it tastes even better when it is your own hard work that has gone into helping it grow. I have muddy boots today to prove what I have gone through for the new beds of carrots and peas.

Well, if you ever want to come and stop by the farm, please do! It is a great place to be, you can meet the goats, wander through the garden, maybe you will even stumble upon the secret laying spot of a hen! But no worries if you don't. We have an abundance of eggs in our fridge and you are welcome to purchase a dozen, or two, or three... I made quiche for lunch a couple of days ago (for about 18 farm-hungry people) and it didn't even put a dent in our supply! Thanks for dropping on by and enjoy your Sunday. Take a few moments to step outside your door and take in the beauty, or go to the park for a walk, or, of course, come by the WHRI farm! It refreshes you right to the bones! Just for clarification, I did take this photo, but it is not from the farm. I do hope it cheers you up some though!













No comments: